Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Summing up my first two months here...

I've just started keeping a journal in Israel, I know I should have started in the beginning but it never happened. So let me sum up the first two months up until now...

(9/1-9/5)
We came to Israel September 1st. Year Course split up into our three sections and my section (1) went to Jerusalem. We live in Beit Ar-El in Ba'ka on Rachov Gad and Yehuda. The first night was crazy, I found out I was assigned to an apartment of 16 girls and I wouldn't be living with Ale. It was not the best night, sleep deprived and travel weary it seemed like the end of the world. I ended up staying with Ale in her apartment but went to mine to sleep.
In the morning (Tuesday) we learned about possible volunteer placements and went on a hike. The newsletter called it a "Tiyul Gibush (Bonding Hike)". We were told it was a short, easy, hike but I think we may have been out there 6 hours. It wasn't too bad, I suppose I did 'bond' with a few people. We went back home and were told about living on our own and how we would be shopping and cooking for ourselves.
Wednesday we were told about security, kashrut, rules, safety, weekends, and classes. We had our first apartment meeting, I don't remember it.
Thursday we had our hebrew level exam. I placed into the highest level, 7. Thanks Mar Yativ.
Friday we had siyurim around the area. Don't remember this. We had an "expectation activity". Oh, apparently that was canceled. Thanks Julia. We got ready for shabbat, apparently cooked for Shalashuddos (no idea how to spell that, third meal of shabbat). We walked to the Old City and davened at the kotel. Shevet went to have dinner at this nice Youth Hostel. We came back to have a "tisch" and hung out for a little while. Probably went to sleep after this.
We went to a shul nearby in the morning- don't remember what it was called. We went to host families for lunch. I went with Ale, this boy David who was at orientation with us, and this girl Bianca. We had a "Religious Tolerance and Pluralism Activity" with a Rabbi from Tribe, which is I think a British Jewish organization...Shevet learned about the parsha and did mincha then we had Seuda Slichit, each apartment made something for the meal. There was a soccer game, or a "football match" as the brits call it, but I didn't go. Probably skyped Ben.

(9/6-9/12)
Can't find the newsletter for this week so I won't be able to remember as well.
Sunday we started volunteering. I was placed in Eyal's farm. It's named in honor of the manager of the farm's brother, a soldier who was killed. It's run by his family members. It's a really nice place, bigger than a petting zoo but not quite a farm. It's in Kibbutz Ramat Rachel. I have pictures I'll try to put up eventually. There are dogs, cats, a sheep and a goat, rabbits, guinea pigs, chickens, parrots, ducks, mice, rats, fish, and an iguana. We only went for an hour to check it out. It was my first choice for volunteering so I was pretty excited about it. I learned what bus to take and where to get off, but I still managed to get lost on the way home the first two days. I was very proud of myself when I found my way home though. Often when I ask people for directions in Hebrew, they answer me in English. It's frustrating, but also nice.
Tuesdays are our trip days and I went to the Christian Quarter. That was pretty interesting. We saw a bunch of Koreans reenacting Jesus' final days and the 13 (I think 13?) final places that he went to, from his trial to where he is supposedly buried. They were very into it, crying hysterically. We saw a few churches and some artwork, I don't remember names of anything...
Went to volunteering the rest of the week, I'm sure Shevet did something on Wednesday but I'm not sure what. On the farm I swept a lot and gardened and made salad for the iguana. I don't work with the animals most of the day but it's still a nice place to volunteer. Little kids come everyday to learn about plants and animals, they're adorable.
For Shabbat I went with Ale to her aunt's in Afula.

(9/13-9/19)
Sunday I went to volunteering. Shevet did shofar making, which was gross and fun. At 4:30 we had Holocaust Film class, it's an optional sunday class where we watch films and learn how to critique them.
Monday, volunteering and classes. Ulpan from 1:30-4 then Biblical Rebels from 4:15-6. I like Ulpan, my teacher's name is Orit. It's a really long class but it's not too bad. I didn't like Biblical Rebels.
Tuesday I went to the Begin Museum. That was interesting, I never really knew much about him.
Wednesday went to volunteering and had Shevet classes.
Thursday, went to volunteering and then had Ulpan. Switched into Zionism through the Arts instead of Biblical Rebels. I like it much better. The teacher is fantastic and it's really interesting stuff. Shevet went to Slichot at 3 a.m. It was crazy. We went around to different shuls and ended up at the Kotel around 7 a.m.
For Shabbat I went to Jenene's in Nokdim. It was great. I didn't realize she lived so close by.

(9/20-9/26)
Volunteering and class as usual.
Tuesday I went to the Madrasse, a water hike. Afterwards, Shevet went to do Tashlich in Tevaria.
Thursday night after class Shevet went to do Kaparot. Eew.
Nokdim for Shabbat.

(9/27-10/3)
Yom Kippur was on Monday, I was in Nokdim.
Tuesday went on the Sataf Tiyul, an ancient winery. No wine but it was interesting. Sukkot started. Went to Nokdim for Shabbat.

(10/4-10/10)
Monday went to Birkat Cohanim at the Kotel. It was so crowded and so hot. Later we had Hachnasat Sefer Torah at Beit Ar-El. Really fun, dancing and craziness.
Tuesday Shevet went to Neut Kedumim, a biblical nature reserve. We saw some ancient wells and learned how to be shepherds. It rained a little. Afterwards we went to Hof Dor and learned about techlet and went snorkeling.
Shevet spent Simchat Torah in Tzvat. It was an interesting experience, lots of dancing and eating and l'chaims. Went into small groups for friday night dinner to host families. Stayed in a hostel.

(10/11-10/17)
Pretty sure I went to Yad Vashem for second timers on Tuesday. Also I think I went out to eat with Yaeli, to Aroma and Aldos. Nokdim for shabbat.

(10/18-10/24)
Tuesday went to the Biblical Zoo, saw lots of adorable fat chipmunks and penguins.
There was an official dedication of Beit Ar-El. Free food and speeches. Then Katie and I were chosen to go out to dinner with some Haddassah ladies, that was great. The food was eh but it was fun. We took back everyone's leftovers for the apartment. I mean...what? Food is always on the mind here, especially if we can get it for free. Not that we're starving or anything, we eat well. But we (or maybe I..) are very conscious about how much money we spend. Shabbat, guess where? :)

(10/25-10/31)
Tuesday Shevet went to Chevron and learned about the city and it's history. We visited Ma'arot Hamachpaylah and Kever Rachel.
Wednesday we learned about Tzniut.
Thursday Shevet started "Lunch and Learn", where they feed us and we learn before our regular classes. It's great. We always bring the leftovers back to our apartment.
Nokdim for shabbat.

(11/1-11/11/7)
It's been raining in Israel. It's cold but I just have to keep reminding myself, it's filling up the Kineret it's okay it's okay.
Tuesday we went to Har Zaytim, I was hoping I could visit Savta's grave but was not sure where it was. We only ended up staying a few minutes because it was raining pretty hard. We went back to Beit Ar-El and heard about what Bat Yam will be like. I requested to volunteer at an animal shelter. Afterwards the Shevet girls went to a neighborhood next to Efrat and learned about the mikvah and the roles of women.
Went to Mordichai's for shabbat, it was really nice.



So now I'm basically caught up to the present. Just need to catch up on this week....Hopefully newer entries will actually be detailed and maybe a little more interesting. Haven't yet written about my friends here, needa do that.
goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment